Massage for people living with cancer.
trained in massage for people living with cancer and provide gentle,
nurturing massage for pain management and relaxation as a volunteer at
the Medical University of South Carolina. Compassion is the key ingredient in this very specialized modality.
60 minutes -$105.00
90 minute - $140.00
*This service may be provided in the home, hospital, patient care facility, etc.
Please ask about out call services for special needs clients.
Existing data now strongly suggest that appropriate massage therapy provided by a well-trained therapist is safe, does not contribute to the spread of cancer, and is an effective complement to the medical and optimal health programs offered to people with cancer.
therapy for those experiencing cancer helps to reduce stress, decrease
anxiety, relieve depression, increase comfort levels, and provide
spiritual and emotional, as well as physical, support for both patient
and care providers. Women
experiencing breast or ovarian cancer may find compassionate healing
touch effective for counteracting the feeling of invasive touch.
Therapeutic massage can also enhance a woman's sense of self-esteem and
improve body image.
can be beneficial for the person with most any form of cancer when
offered by a therapist with training and expertise, and is successfully
employed at any stage of the cancer experience.
massage opens the inner doors of healing for the person with cancer and
their loved ones. It provides a safe,comfortable, and healing place for
people to relax and rejuvenate.
Compassionate healing touch helps to bring the
person into a state of self-acceptance and centered well-being. Massage
therapy also brings the person back to their own body with peace,
allowing her/him to breathe, reconnect,
and enhance the strong healing capacity she/he already possesses.
A Summary of the Potential Benefits of Bodywork for People Living with Cancer,
Gayle MacDonald Medicine Hands: Massage Therapy for People with Cancer
- Moisturizes the skin and prevents problems such as bedsores.
- Relieves muscle soreness due to prolonged bed rest.
circulation. Lymphatic flow is stimulated, which helps in the
elimination of waste products, vascular flow is also stimulated,
bringing fresh nutrients to the area.
- Increases range of motion.
- Increases relaxation.
- Decreases edema and lymphedema.
- Sedates or stimulates nervous system, depending on the modality used.
- Encourages deeper respiration.
- Improves bowel activity.
- Increases alertness and mental clarity.
- Improves sleep.
- Provides pain relief and reduces the need for pain medication.
- Decreases symptoms related to chemo and radiation, such as fatigue, nausea, diarrhea, and loss of appetite.
- Stimulates faster wound healing.
- Provides faster recovery from anesthesia.
- Shortens hospital stays.
- Increases elasticity to scarred areas.
- Breaks up adhesions associated with scarring.
- Increases the effectiveness of other treatments, such as pain medication, physical therapy, or a medical procedure.
- Increases patient’s awareness of stress signals.
- Decreases anxiety and depression.
- Provides distraction.
- Provides relief from isolation.
- Offers meaningful social interaction.
- Provides a doorway to greater intimacy with family and friends.
- Provides relief of touch deprivation.
- Provides a forum for patients to express their feelings.
- Re-establishes a positive body image.
- Gives patient a sense of participation in the healing process.
- Re-builds hope.
Prenatal, Labor Support, & Post Partum Massage by
Jenifer Mahanes, LMT,YT
Warm hands and a caring heart nurture you and your unborn baby during this Sacred Body Experience!
What is "Mommy Massage"?
"Mommy Massage" other wise referred to as Prenatal, Labor Support, or Postpartum massage is very similar to therapeutic massage in that the goal is to transform the expectant mother from a state of stress and anxiety to a relaxed and comfortable state of well being.
"Mommy Massage" is specifically designed for the needs of a pregnant woman and a new mother. This nurturing massage is given by a trained therapist who understands the changes a woman's body experiences during and after pregnancy. The therapist has a brief consultation prior to the massage and adapts the experience for Mommy's" optimum comfort and relaxation.
Is "Mommy Massage" for you?
If you are experiencing a healthy pregnancy with the normal "Growing Pains" associated with the miracle of creation,
"Mommy Massage" is for you!
If you are not having any complications and you want to be nurtured by a therapist certified in prenatal massage "Mommy Massage" is just what you need to support you through the exciting evolution of your Body, Mind, & Spirit.
Benefits of "Mommy Massage"
I use a unique body cushion system that allows Mommies to lay on their bellies up until they deliver!
Relief from muscle cramps, spasms, and Myofascial pain focusing on neck, shoulders, lower back and hips
Increase in blood and lymph circulation
Reduce stress on weight bearing joints
Relief of headache and sinus pressure and congestion
Assistance in maintaining proper posture
Reduced swelling in hands and feet
Ease labor pain
Support new Mommies by easing physical and emotion strains of mothering
Conditions where massage is not recommended:
Massage is contraindicated during the first trimester of pregnancy because it can initiate spontaneous uterine contractions and lead to a miscarriage. If you are fewer than four months pregnant, or if you are currently trying to become pregnant, you should not receive massage. Once into your fourth month, massage is safe and effective in relieving the physical and emotional stress of pregnancy.
If you have any of the following conditions please consult your doctor prior to scheduling a prenatal massage.
- High Blood Pressure
- Kidney/Bladder Disease
- Heavy Discharge (watery or bloody)
- Contagious illness
- Abdominal pain/unusual pain
- Morning Sickness